Cannabis Oil Recipe Guide
CBD is everywhere. The cannabinoid can be found in anything from beauty products to CBD infused milkshakes and cookies. CBD’s increasing popularity is likely related to volumes of research that demonstrate its many health benefits.
CBD oil can be consumed on its own, but you can also infuse it into food and drinks. After all, who doesn’t want nachos that fill your belly and promote restful sleep, decrease nervousness, and relieve discomfort? Whether you want to know how to make CBD gummies or how to make a cocktail with CBD, there are hundreds of recipes out there.
We’ve compiled a few of the best recipes along with some helpful tips and tricks for cooking with cannabis oil. Learn how to use your favorite product in the tasty treats below.
Benefits of Cooking with CBD Oil
If you’re on the lookout for CBD recipes, you’re probably well-aware that cannabidiol can have many positive effects when applied topically or ingested orally. Consuming CBD might help with any of the following:
- Reducing exercise-induced inflammation and discomfort
- Promoting a healthy appetite
- Improving mood and feelings of unease
While you can ingest CBD oil by placing a few drops underneath your tongue, there are many benefits to cooking and baking with CBD as well. CBD edibles have different effects than ingesting the oil on its own. A few of the biggest benefits of using CBD oil in food and drinks include:
- Long-lasting effects: Although it does take a bit longer to begin feeling the effects of CBD when you consume it though an edible versus taking it sublingually, you will likely feel the effects for longer. Oftentimes, the CBD effects of edibles can last up to two to four hours longer than would other types of CBD products. This is because the CBD is absorbed more slowly when it’s been incorporated into food.
- Almost anyone can enjoy them: Unlike baked goods that include THC (like “weed brownies”), foods baked with CBD can be enjoyed by just about anyone because there are no psychoactive effects. However, we always encourage telling your friends that CBD is an ingredient before sharing!
- CBD is easy to cook with: While there are many benefits and uses of CBD oil, one of our favorite ways to incorporate it into our lives is through cooking and baking. Most recipes simply call for a few drops of infused oil. A CBD recipe can be as simple as drizzling oil over your salad, baking it into blondies, or adding a splash to a cocktail or mocktail. Why not vary your routine by blending it into a smoothie?
Cannabis Oil Recipes for Food
Cannabis oil can be incorporated into food by baking it into your favorite desserts, incorporating it into marinades and dressings, and even drizzling it on top of your dinner. Let’s take a look at some fail proof recipes for relaxing treats.
Chocolate Chip CBD Cookies
Whether you’re having friends over or hoping to stick some extra cookie dough in the freezer, chocolate chips cookies are an easy baking project to tackle. Nothing is better than the smell of a batch of cookies baking in the oven, especially when those cookies contain CBD. This recipe contains ingredients that you likely already have in your kitchen.
Preheat the oven to 350° F. Assemble the following ingredients and follow the instructions below for foolproof cookies that are sweet, salty, chocolatey, and above all, soothing.
Mix in one bowl:
- 3 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white or cane sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt (or more taste)
In a second bowl, use a standing mixer to blend:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
- 200 mg high quality CBD oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in three batches, mixing on low. When the wet and dry ingredients have combined, stir in a 12 oz bag semisweet chocolate chips (or the equivalent amount of your favorite dark chocolate bar).
Drop in large spoonfuls on your baking pan and bake for 14 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden-brown.
CBD isn’t only for sweet foods. You can also add CBD into something salty or savory as well. Salsa is easy to make: if you have tomatoes, onions, lime juice, and fresh herbs on hand, you have the basic ingredients. Add a tablespoon of a quality CBD oil to top it off (or more for a more potent effect). Typical proportions include:
- 2 medium tomatoes (deseeded and chopped)
- 1 small white or red onion, chopped
- 2-3 jalapenos or other chilis, seeded and chopped
- 10 stalks fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 serving of CBD oil
- salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste.
Mix the ingredients together, and voila! Salsa is a delicious and healthy snack, and it only takes a few minutes to prepare. You can customize the recipe by adding fruits including peach and pineapple, as well as adjust the CBD—and the seasonings—to your taste.
Healthy CBD Oil Gummies Recipe for Better Sleep Quality
If you want to learn how to make CBD gummies at home, Real Nutritious Living has the recipe. These particular gummies are specifically designed to help you get quality sleep because they not only include CBD, but they also have tart cherry juice—a natural source of sleep-improving melatonin. We recommend using silicone molds to easily pop the gummies out once they’re ready.
All you have to do is stir in the ingredients, let them sit, and pop them out for tasty and fun CBD gummies. Enjoy!
Cannabis Oil Drink Recipes
Whether you want to try a CBD latte, or you’d prefer to add some CBD to a cocktail, there’s a drink recipe for you. Many drink creations don’t even need a recipe because CBD oil can easily be added to your favorite drinks—try adding a dose to your coffee or tea. However, if you are looking for a CBD infused oil drink that is a bit more creative, check out the recipes below.
CBD Gin & Tonic
Gin and CBD are a pairing made in heaven because of gin’s naturally herbaceous, botanical notes. To add a CBD twist to a classic cocktail, try crafting a Spanish style CBD gin and tonic. Combine:
- 1 ½ oz gin of your choice
- 3 ½ oz tonic water
- A splash of lemon juice
- 20 mg high quality CBD oil
- Garnish with lemon peel
This cocktail is the perfect blend of relaxing and uplifting. Not a gin drinker? Try a variation with a classic herbaceous aperitif like amaro. Not a drinker at all? Replace the alcohol with a product like juniper syrup.
(Recipe adapted from Goop.)
If you have a blender and some fruit, you’re ready to make a CBD smoothie. Add your usual ratio of favorite fruits and veggies—from bananas to raspberries to kale and beyond—along with 21mg high-quality CBD oil and you’ll soon have a nourishing and relaxing drink to sip.
Although you can add CBD to any of your favorite smoothie recipes, this CBD infused mango smoothie from Bon Appetit is especially tasty.
CBD Matcha Latte
Are you looking for a drink that sharpens your mind while establishing a sense of mental calmness? Combine:
1 cup hot water (not boiling, but
This CBD matcha latte is super simple because all you need to do is blend the ingredients together and enjoy.
Tips for Infusing with CBD Oil
If you’re a beginner to using CBD oil, we have a few tips! Always use a high-quality, edible CBD oil when making a new dish or drink. Below are a few things that you can do to make sure that your CBD recipe is effective and delicious. These tips and tricks include:
- Use high-quality CBD oil. Not all CBD oil is created equal. Some brands may be less or more potent than advertised. To take full advantage of CBD’s health benefits, the most important thing you can do is to ensure that the CBD you purchase is from a reliable and well-vetted CBD oil company.
- Be careful with heat. It’s important that you are cautious with the amount of heat you use when cooking with CBD. Heating your food above 350° F can cause the CBD to evaporate and lose potency. Luckily, CBD oil can easily be used without being heated at all—try drizzling the oil over your pasta or mixing it into a savory sauce. CBD oil won’t change the taste of your dishes, which is why it’s a versatile ingredient in any recipe.
- Use oil-based ingredients. Cannabinoids work best when they bind to fatty acids, which is why CBD is often sold in oil form. When making a cannabis oil recipe, it can be a good idea to look for a dish that uses a fat or oil-based ingredient like butter or coconut oil for best results. For example, if you add CBD to your tea, it’s best to make sure you add some milk to the tea so that the CBD oil has something to bind to.
- Pay attention to the dose. Although CBD is not psychoactive, it’s important to monitor dosages. If you are just starting out with using CBD, you likely don’t need much to feel the effects. Remember, you can always add more.
- Store your baked goods properly. CBD can lose its potency if it is stored in a place that is too hot or too bright. Keep your baked goods in an airtight container in a cool, dark place such as the pantry.
You don’t need to be an experienced chef or mixologist to incorporate CBD into a recipe. CBD is not a difficult ingredient to work with. Give a few different recipes a try, and soon you’ll find some new favorite ways to take CBD. For more CBD recipes and information, check out our CBD blog at Plant People today.
CBD is everywhere. The cannabinoid can be found in anything from beauty products to CBD infused milkshakes and cookies. CBD's increasing popularity is likely related to volumes of research that demonstrate its many health benefits. CBD oil can be consumed on its own, but you can also infuse it into food and drinks. Af